Friday, March 8, 2013

~A Family by Another Name~



    Its here...Its here!!!  My file arrived this morning.  With shaky hands I read each and every detail and although there where many pages with lots of information there was not very much information about my birth mum. There is more information about her sister (my aunt?) and a phone number for said aunt.  After deliberating for what felt like hours I decided to take the plunge and ring her.  With my heart in my throat and nerves on edge I dial the number and it is answered by a kindly woman's voice.  My planned speech goes out the window, and after asking if she is indeed the sister to my birth mother and another  hurried mess of words I blurt out who I am.  It seems no one knew I even existed.  In fact she thought I was  another daughter of my birth mother that she already knew.  It would seem my birth mother now has 3 daughters all bearing the same first name.
  This aunt was so patient with my questions and so friendly and she told me so much information that in my state I forgot most of it but she has left the door open for me to contact  her and ask any questions I need.  She was going to contact my birth mother but I hold no expectations, nor do I want to intrude on maybe a time in my birth mothers  life she would rather forget.   The last thing I want to do is upset anyone or their lives with me popping up out of the wood work.  If I can have my many questions answered by this aunt, then I will be happy with that, after all it is more than I expected.    The one thing I do remember from this conversation with her is I have in fact 3 sisters and 2 brothers, all half siblings I think. 
   I am going to give myself time to digest what I have learned and give this aunt and my birth mother time to come to terms with that I have found them.  That in its self would have to be a huge shock for them both.....I know it is for me.
  My mum knows nothing of this and I wont be sharing it with her.  She doesnt even know that I know I am adopted and she is just too frail to deal with it.  I am angry that she and dad never told me and I have learned that it was his wish I never be told and it was his secret which he took to his grave with him.  But like all secrets they have a habit of coming out in the end.  I have hinted and given her many opportunities to tell me but she remains tight lipped so I will leave it that.  My brother has known we are adopted since he was 15 and I think that is where my anger lies in that he was told and I was not.  Maybe if I had been told back then, this would have been easier to deal with.  But finding out when I am 49 has been a huge shock.  My mum & dad will always be the ones who raised me...that will never change, but now I know the truth its like the penny dropping into place.
  I plan on spending the next few days working out my questions, then perhaps this time I will write the aunt so as to give her time to respond rather then me putting her on the spot like last time by phoning.
  If you are reading this and you have adopted children of your own....tell them the truth when they are young, don't leave it too long and don't put it off to another day, because when they find out...and they will...it would be so much better to hear from your own lips than those of a stranger.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle. I just stumbled upon your blog page (it's very pretty), and I was glued to this particular post. I can't imagine finding out this news as an adult - what a shock! You are certainly handling it very well, and I think it's wonderful that the aunt you spoke with was so kind and accommodating. I wish you the best as you unravel the rest. -Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the very late reply....but thank you for your comment...the drama is still unfolding and I hope you will have a read of the latest update in the saga that is my life

      Delete
  2. How brave you are. I cannot imagine all the mixed emotions that you have been and are going through. Sharing may be the best thing for you. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. You are a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you. You have been put in a tough situation. Keep in mind that whatever happens in this life, we do live forever as eternal souls. We will all be reunited, those who are in Christ, on the other side. What a wonderful thing that will be. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for you kind regards and my apologies for such a late reply...I have much slackness when it comes to this blog.

      Delete
  4. My dear, your totally right people should be told they are adopted right away..My aunt and uncle adopted two children on first then another a couple years later and they were both told at the begining. be we and they loved them no less..she was my favorite cousin she died back a few years ago... her brother is still alive. I do have a nephew who was my oldest brother son but he was on drugs so my younger brother and his wife adopted him but never told him anything.. When my oldest brother died at age 34 behind the drugs thats when they told him it was his father and he had a real sister..he was ruined forever became a drugs addict and now sits in Napa state hospital cause the drugs and alcohol nearly killed him.. It's very sad. But I do believe a child has the right to know no matter what. Blessings to you dear, be patient.. and trust in God he will give you all your answers...Hugs and much LOve Janice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice for your kind regards and yes it is my belief that children should always be told the truth in all things pertaining to them no matter what.

      Delete
  5. How blessed you got a phone number. You were able to phone and get a good respond. Your young so you have really good chance to get more as you take time.

    My friend found her Mom but she is older a miracle really. Seeing she had a name that not many had like Smiths or Browns are many. I was a Smith maiden name. So the phone book is Smiths and more Smiths. She got hold of her Mom by letter and on the Monday her Mom phoned her.She mailed the letter the thur.

    Was not a good ending for her and Mom. Her mom was an alcholic and phoned my friend drunk.

    Now my other friend he found his dad and his uncles and they all lived can you imagine ten minutes over from his street. His Mom just had died two months prior of his findings.

    They all have accepted him. huge family.

    He found his info from St. Mikes. He asked a nurse if so and so. As she was opening the file. He memorized the importance of what he needed and that is how he got all his info.

    The nurse turned back and said. Sorry I have nothing. Then he said. okay.

    Grinning as he left St. Mikes. And yelling he said down the strett. Alright!

    Had you already applied for the open files to get the phone number.

    Where is the Childrens Aid.

    Has it moved from Toronto to North Bay? How long have you waited for this? And has your adopted parents know of your find?

    I thought it was in Ottawa the Childrens Aid.

    Your right every child who is adopted should be told.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words...in Australia the adoption laws have changed and now an adopted child has the right to their file and everything in it unless the birth mother has put a Veto on her identification and then her name would be omitted from the file. I was lucky enough to find out her name and have since posted an update on everything if you are interested in reading it.

      Delete

✿¸ Thankyou for taking the time to stop by ~Shabby Delights~ your comments are most welcome ✿¸